I just love the season of FALL! It is so beautiful with all the colors and the cool nip in the air! This time of year also brings lots of activities for many of us. There are lots of sporting events for all ages! We are always running to one ball field or another to see our kids play baseball, soccer or football! Also, many school or civic groups have activities planned during the fall. School fairs and community or church festivals occur. Last but not least are the familiar football outings. Whether it is your alma mater or your favorite NFL team, there are many types of get togethers and tailgate parties that are traditional and fun. Along with these are amazing food temptations. You want to stay true to your plan, but don’t want to miss out!
What’s a person to do? How can I get through the weekend activities on plan and not feel deprived?
Well, here are a few tips that may help you:
- GET SUPPORT! You are not in this alone. If you are a Take Shape For Life client, you have the support of your Health Coach. Give them a call and let them know what is coming up. Ask them for their support and assistance. Don’t forget to ask your family, loved ones, friends and neighbors for their support also. Let them know you are getting healthy and you would appreciate their help!
- GET FOCUSED! Work with your Health Coach and/or support buddy and get clear on what you want to achieve. Look at the “big” picture and get clear. Now, break that down to a medium frame picture and get clear on what needs to happen just through the weekend to keep you on your path. Then put the secondary action steps in place for this weekend to get yourself where you want to be.
- PLAN! Where are you going? What will be available for you to eat/drink? What can you bring to add to the festivities that will be a healthy choice for all concerned? Do you have enough Medifast products available for the day? Bring ready to drink/eat Medifast meals such as the puffs, pretzels, bars and bites. Don’t forget the ready-to-drink shakes sure make things easy and delicious. Need healthy tailgate ideas? Lean turkey burgers wrapped in a chunk of lettuce with some low fat cheese, pickles and a couple of condiments work great for the big BBQ- Our hot cocoa instead of theirs at the game, Our chips and pop corn snacks instead of theirs. Our program makes it so easy to stay on plan while not missing out on the fun!
- RESEARCH! Are you on maintenance and want to include healthy, fun snacks for the event? Do you know what those choices are? Remember, fruit and vegetables do have carbohydrates in them and while they are healthy in and of themselves, too much of anything can lead to trouble! Familiarize yourself with the glycemic index of common snack foods.. “Dr A’s Habits of Health,” can help you prepare. Review Chapter 9 for Choosing Wisely and Chapter 10 for Putting It All Together. You can choose healthy fueling choices from these chapters as well.
- RECIPES! Now here’s the fun part. Find some new HEALTHY recipes to bring with you for any of these outdoor fall activities! How do Grilled Sausage Patties or Grilled Steak and Vegetable Salad sound? Or Lemon Scallion Chicken and Veggie Kabobs off the grill? These recipes are found on your coach’s website under the Habits of Health tab. There are lean, leaner and leanest categories. and there are many more in the the TSFL “Lean & Green Meal Cookbook”. If grilling will occur, prepare all your ingredients ahead of time and bring them ready to place on the grill. The salad recipes from the recipe book can be prepared ahead of time and served chilled at your outdoor party – just bring a cooler with sufficient ice to keep it at a safe temperature. Prepare yours at home with allowable protein and vegetable choices and bring them with you. And don’t forget the Fit & Festive Spring, Summer and Holiday recipe card sets that TSFL offers! Lots of delicious ideas to help make staying on plan great fun and easy!
- HYDRATE! Don’t forget your water bottle. Most of the time, the weather is cooler and we don’t focus on our hydration. Plus, what goes in must go out and sometimes, the “facilities” are not what we consider great. Plan on your hydration. Just because it’s not real hot out, doesn’t mean you need less water. Decide ahead of time how much water you need to ingest before you ever leave for the event. Know how much water you will need to ingest during the event. At least have 8-16 ounces of water while you are at the event. Remember also, sometimes thirst presents itself as hunger. Be prepared to drink water if the “hunger” bug hits you hard and you are thinking of going off plan. This wonderful liquid could be a “life saver” for your program!
- REFOCUS! No matter what happens at the event, when you do get home re-focus. Plan for this before you ever leave for the event. Get your journal out and write in it what you expect to have happen at this event. Example: “I plan to enjoy being outside with friends and family. I plan to eat healthy and drink plenty of water. I plan to get some extra exercise in by walking and visiting.” Leave that journal out where you will see it as soon as you get home. When you do return, write in the journal about your day. What went on? How did you do? How do you feel? Now, finish your day with a glass of water and a Medifast meal and get yourself ready for a successful tomorrow!
BY: Jan Paxman