Gearing Up for the Holidays
With the holiday season right around the corner, you may be feeling anxiety over balancing your healthy lifestyle in addition to celebrations to attend, events to host, and gifts to buy. Whether you are attending or hosting an event, or visiting the mall for holiday shopping, there are temptations everywhere, but with a little preparation and foresight, you can still make your health a priority and even inspire others to do the same.
Here are some tips to avoid common downfalls during the holiday season.
When you’re attending an event:
- Develop a plan of action. Identify potential challenges by mentally “walking through” situations that may be encountered at a particular event. Ask, “How might you respond in that situation? What are some strategies that may help you during this time?” Brainstorm possible solutions and identify one or two viable options. Assess the willingness and confidence to commit to the behavior.
- Continue to eat small, frequent meals throughout the day so overeating later is less likely.
- Bring Medifast Meals with you in case you feel tempted.
- Schedule a little exercise earlier in the day so that you don’t skip it and so that you feel in control for the rest of the day.
- Dress to impress. Wear something you feel amazing in so that you’re beaming with confidence.
- Think Lean & Green Meal. Focus on grilled, broiled, baked or steamed protein and non-starchy vegetables. Keep sauces, gravies, and condiments off to the side.
- Bring your favorite Medifast Flavor Infuser™ to drink with water, or stick with calorie-free beverages such as diet soda, sparkling water, unsweetened tea, or coffee. Seltzer water mixed with a strawberry flavor infuser makes a delicious treat. Enjoy it in a wine glass for a little extra pizazz.
- Seek support. Ask your health coach or a friend or family member to support you during the event.
When you’re the host:
- Take time for yourself! Set aside some alone time to relax. Get some exercise to help combat the stress—take a walk or do some yoga.
- When time gets tight, make sure you have plenty of your favorite Medifast Meals within easy reach so you don’t skimp on nutrition.
- Plan non-food-based activities like volunteering, attending parades, kids’ arts and crafts, pumpkin patches, and cultural events.
- If you’re given a food basket that hasn’t been opened, donate it to a local food shelter.
- If leftovers are Lean & Green appropriate, package them in single serving containers and freeze them for later. Send any other leftovers home with your guests.
When you’re shopping for gifts:
- Dress comfortably and wear sneakers to pick up the pace!
- Use a pedometer to track your steps and motivate yourself to add more.
- Bring along a few Medifast Meals in case you get hungry.
- Don’t forget to carry a bottle of water to keep yourself hydrated and feeling full.
- Use those Calorie Burn Infusers and Meals for extra energy.
- Exercise while waiting in line. Ex: Calf raises, marching in place, stretching.
BY: Sumi Tohan, RDN, LDN