Don’t you just love the name of our upcoming holiday? INDEPENDENCE DAY! Wow! I know this holiday is to celebrate the declaration of freedom of the United States of America from the British rule. But I would like to suggest another focus on this day. How about your very own Independence Day.
- Poor health
- Stress of everyday life
- Financial strain
Let this be the holiday that you take control of your own destiny. You take control of your life. You make the choice to embrace Optimal Health. You make the decision to assume responsibility for your health, your state of mind and your finances. You make the commitment to discover and embrace Optimal Health!
Now that is something worth working for!
Now that your focus is on what you want, let’s talk about tips to help you on your journey. Holidays such as this often involve family get togethers, picnics, and outdoor activities. This may cause stress and concern and can cause break downs in our otherwise healthy Take Shape For Life plan. It is extremely important to be very aware and mindful that these activities and events can pack thousands of calories that we would not normally indulge in.
Here are some tips to get through this.
- If going to someone else’s home or party, offer to bring an appetizer and/or side dish. Make it healthy and every one will benefit. Be watchful of your portions and choose NOT to have the desert! You might think about bringing sugar free popsicles to share with the crowd or have a cup of coffee instead. Medifast pudding and/or crunch bars can be a healthy desert.
- Get clear on what you want and why you want it and what you are willing to do to get it. Reach out to your health coach and share this with them. Ask for their assistance and ask them to hold you accountable to your commitment.
- The best defense is a great offense! Be prepared and have a plan. Think ahead for possible situations that you may be placed in and think about your response. Make sure you have your meal replacements with you. Do not skip meals or “save” calories for the “big meal.”
- Get the support of your family and friends. Ask them to help you stay on course.
- Keep a positive attitude and remember that your goal is not only to lose weight but to gain health. Your continued positive self talk will empower you to successfully get through the celebration.
- Utilize some of the wonderful summer vegetables that are abundant now – tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, green beans zucchini & summer squash. Look for recipes to enjoy them. Utilize the “My Take Shape For Life,” web site for healthy on plan recipes. Don’t forget, grilling vegetables and protein is a great option. If you are not able to measure your lean & green portions, go to chapter 9 in “Dr A’s Habits of Health,” to learn how to visualize proper portion sizes.
- Take advantage of the summer time and get some extra exercise in! Take a walk or bike ride. Swimming, badminton, croquet, volleyball, horse shoes, and boating are all great summer time outside activities. Activities will boost your mood and cut your appetite.
- Remember the reason for the gathering and focus on fellowship and visiting and not on food and over indulgence.
- Habits are habit forming. People form habits but habits transform people! Let’s Take Shape For Life. Let us transform our thinking to become choosy about what we eat and what we do. Let us make it a habit to select healthy foods and healthy activities to create the life we want. Let us declare our independence from poor health and discover our Optimal Health!